Skip to main content

Preparations & Champagne!

We are here in the wonderful Champagne region with our friends who make champagne - and we've been drinking and eating as if we live in a classic gourmet French film.  We are surrounded by vines, and incredible food and drink and the warmest hospitality.

We were met yesterday at the local TGV station by these wonderful friends, who fed us and plied us with great champagne and wine, we sat down to a gourmet lunch followed by a cheese platter to die for, then a dessert made from the first of their summer strawberry crop (photos to follow).  After two hours of splendid feasting, it was time to get serious and start getting our shit together.  

Off we went to the workshop and Mike put together the bikes.  Well done Mikey. Then we wandered down to the cellar for a tour of the new construction going on there, and of course drank more champagne.  Then dinner.  And more champagne.  It's a tough gig.

And yet, with all this deliciousness and incredible views of vines, I'm nervous today.  We are heading off tomorrow with the bikes and it's a bit overwhelming, which I didn't really expect.  Two years ago when we did the 3 week trip, I didn't have this nervousness, sure I was nervously excited, but this feels bigger, and different.  We have just now booked our train from Reims to Lille - we're taking the slow trains so it will take us all day - then we will ride to a small town for the night, to hopefully get to Bruges the following day.  Our panniers are packed and ready to go, and no doubt there will be more champagne at dinner (which will help!), but my tummy has butterflies and I feel emotional.  Can I do it? Will I do it?  Can I sit with all the uncertainty and chaos that this type of trip brings?  The chaos that seemed so exciting and adventurous a couple of months ago is now staring me in the face on the ground, with its hands on its hips and a look in its eyes asking me the big question - CAN YOU BRING IT? Can I bring it?  Am I a chicken? Or will I embrace it once I'm on the road?  Or will it be somewhere in between?  Mike is totally all in, so I'll pull some bravery from him tomorrow morning at 7.30am when we hit the road.  So sportsfans, there you have it, a bit of truth from the land of Champagne, stay tuned to see what emerges.

Bring on the pics...

The nerves begin...



Beauty abounds inside and out... (it helps)






And the food... (it helps)








Comments

  1. Peony roses! I aspire to grow them! How beautiful - it looks amazing there - that's a bit rough to leave the flowing champagne, gorgeous food and hit the bikes and camping... My guess is once the numb bum breaks - you'll find your stride and LOVE the adventure. I am cheering you on from here xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous photos! Best of luck with the start of the ride - remember a ship is safest in port but that's not what it's meant for - or something.... Your grand adventure begins! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are no chicken. You are white fang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food ! The use of the word pannier ! You’ll be brill as always xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5000km - TICK, Mont Saint Michel - TICK, Crazy rainy mud riding - TICK, Normandy - AMAZING!

 WOOHOOO - 5000KM!  We did it. MASSIVE LEGENDS!! But let's get down to the journey of the last week.  So much action, so many amazing things to see, so many intense emotions - buckle up for a long post with a billion pics, and even a video.  There are really four parts of the last week, so let's keep things organised and go in order... 1. Leaving Saint Malo and heading to Mont Saint Michel - around 55km We leapt out of bed (not really) early to get on the bike cause we knew we had a long ride ahead with unstable weather.  To our delight after climbing our way out of Saint Malo, waving to the local hunter who passed us with his sausage dog and shotgun, we were in gorgeous farming country, the sun started to come out, and when we crested the final hill of the morning could see the famous Mont Saint Michel out there in the sea waiting for us.  We couldn't believe it - we were only 20km in and with the clear weather we could see all the way to this gorgeous 100...

Christmas in the City of Love (My Christmas Movie)

 It's me again (Mike), and I'm sitting back in our little townhouse in Beauvais, and it's snowing outside. Yep, it is a cliche, and yep, it is beautiful. We've been away in Paris for 2 weeks, and it's been so fantastic, fun and amazing... here's the story in 4 parts! Part 1 - Family visit to Paris (Dec 19 - Dec 23) We left Beauvais early (walking to the station in the dark!) on the 19th, and headed into Paris. Our hosts let us leave our bikes and some gear in the back shed, so we were free agents with just a back pack each. We headed straight to our hotel, just off the Champs Élysées, and headed straight to a classic "on the street" reunion with our awesome visiting family. Once the appropriate hugs and "how cool is this" 's  had been finished we immediately headed off for some serious Paris action....first crepes and baguettes (which were awesome) and then a walk down the Champs to the Louvre.  The fam headed into the Louvre, while Seren...

The Beginning of the End - Beauvais, Portugal, Paris shopping spree, and musings on heading home (and another video)

  Yes Sportsfans, you read right.  We're heading home!  After a lot of discussion the last month, we're sticking with our original plan to head home on 19th January.  We are so filled up with adventure, amazed at our colourful and textured journey, proud of the edges we've pushed, and lightened up with experiences and life. We are really happy to come home, and it feels great.  As I sit here typing in our cute little cottage in Beauvais (an hour out of Paris) after having a deeply satisfying restful break since I got back from Portugal, I marvel at the joyful intensity and craziness of our last 7 months.  And all good things come to end, it's time for us now to enjoy our last month unwinding, eating great food, living the French dream, and integrating our experiences.  We head off tomorrow to meet up with family in Paris, and as they head to Italy for skiing, we'll stay in Paris for Christmas and then in the New Year come back here to our lovely little...